Sunday, February 6, 2011

Two things to Share



Here is my second pair of mittens from Robin Hansen's Favorite Mittens book this winter. Made from more Swan Island wool-which I love because it is kettle dyed and organic and the sheep are raised out on my friend, Ralph's fishing island in Maine. While the effect is not the most glamorous, I have to tell you that these mittens are so warm and they wear like iron.


Can you believe this hat is 30 years old? My former husband called and said, "Cindy, remember that green hat you knit for me? Well it is my favorite and there is a hole right where my bald spot is. Can you fix it?" I couldn't even remember knitting this hat til I saw it...Remember Bartlett Yarn and Penny Straker? Anyway, the tippity top where you thread the last stitches and pull through had worn out. Not bad for 30 years of wear and tear in Vermont winters! I do have to mention that I also think that Tom had not washed this hat in thirty years, so I did a quick swish in some Eucalan and I won't even mention the color of the water, but here it is ready to be returned to Tom . Wonder if it will last another 30?

3 comments:

  1. The hat had better last another 30 years. It's the only one that fits my head and keeps it warm. One of my sons "borrowed" it a couple of years ago and then "forgot" to give it back till I rescued from his backpack. This baby is hot property, and the original owner gives daily thanks to his ex for her craftswomanship.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This hat looks like it should last another 30 years. BTW, who is the suave model on whose head it rests so jauntily??

    ReplyDelete